Suicide Prevention Resources
Recommended Suicide Prevention Resources
CRISIS AND SUICIDE PREVENTION HOTLINES:
- If you are in crisis or feeling suicidal, help is available. Don’t hesitate to call the free 24/7 National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255.
- Santa Barbara Area – Free 24-hour local services are also available in the Santa Barbara area. Contact CARES/ ACCESS at 1-888-868-1649 or the SAFTY Mobile Crisis Team/ Hotline at 1-888-334-2777.
MEDIA AND SUICIDE:
- Listen to NPR’s report on the dangers in covering suicide in the media. Listen here
- Read the American Association of Suicidology’s recommendations for reporting on suicide. Click here
RESTRICTION OF MEANS:
- Read about how restriction of means prevents suicide.
- Harvard School of Public Health – Means Matter
- www.PsychAlive.org – Suicide Prevention Advice
- Take 5 to Save Lives – Be part of a national movement to save lives by taking five minutes to get involved and become informed about suicide prevention. Click here to learn more
SUPPORT FOR THOSE WHO HAVE LOST SOMEONE TO SUICIDE:
- American Association of Suicidology Resources for Survivors of Suicide
- Grief Support for Survivors of Suicide
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
- Suicide Prevention Resource Center
- Suicide Prevention Action Network
- PsychAlive.org Survivors of Suicide Resource Page
MILITARY SUICIDE RESOURCES:
The Glendon Association’s Dr. Lisa Firestone has conducted presentations and workshops on understanding and preventing suicide to DOD departments and military branches.If you would like to schedule Dr. Firestone to speak at one of your upcoming events, please contact email@example.com.
- Article -Military Suicide, an article by Lisa Firestone, Ph.D. – The Los Angeles Psychologist, Nov./Dec.2009
- Assessment Scales – Firestone Assessment of Suicide Intent (FASI) and Firestone Assessment of Self-Destructive Thoughts (FAST)
TEEN SUICIDE RESOURCES:
Glendon Suicide Prevention Resources
ONLINE TRAINING OPPORTUNITIES:
- Suicide Prevention: Working with High-Risk Clients (CE’s available)
- An Interview with Lisa Firestone, PhD (Psychotherapy.net) (CE’s available)
- Suicide: What Therapists Need to Know (Professional Psych Seminars) (CE’s Available)
- Suicide: What Therapists Need to Know
- Youth Suicide and Violence
- To see a complete list of upcoming workshops click here
DOCUMENTARIES FOR PROFESSIONALS:
- Voices in Suicide: Learning from Those Who Lived
- The Inner Voice in Suicide
- Teenagers Talk About Suicide
- Inwardness: A Retreat From Feeling
- Suicide: What Mental Health Professionals Need to Know
DOCUMENTARIES FOR THE GENERAL PUBLIC:
- Conquer Your Critical Inner Voice
- Suicide and the Inner Voice
- Combating Destructive Thought Processes
- Voice Therapy: An Approach to Self-Destructive Behavior
- Suicide in the Words of Suicidologists
RESEARCH & ASSESSMENT TOOLS:
- Firestone Assessment of Suicide Intent (FASI)
- Firestone Assessment of Self-Destructive Thoughts (FAST)
ARTICLES & CHAPTERS:
- Firestone, L. (2010). The Critical Inner Voice That Drives Suicide. In M. Pompili (Ed.), Suicide in the Words of Suicidologists. (Chapter 16). Nova Publishers.
- Firestone, L.(Nov./Dec.2009). Military Suicide. The Los Angeles Psychologist. (pp.13-15).
- Firestone, L. & Rotnofsky, J. ( Jan./Feb.2007). When the End Becomes a New Beginning. The Los Angeles Psychologist. (pp. 6-7).
- Firestone, L. (2006). Suicide and the inner voice. In T. Ellis (Ed.), Cognition and suicide: Theory, research and practice. (pp. 119-147). American Psychological Association.
- Firestone, L. (2004). Voice therapy: A treatment for depression and suicide. In R. Yufit and D. Lester (Eds.), Assessment, treatment, and prevention of suicidal behavior. (pp. 235-277).Wiley.
- Firestone, L. & Catlett, J. (1998). The treatment of Sylvia Plath. Death Studies, 22(7), 667-692.
- Firestone, R.W., & Firestone, L. (1998). Voices in suicide: The relationship between self-destructive thought processes, maladaptive behavior, and self-destructive manifestations. Death Studies, 22(5), 411-443.
- Firestone, R.W., & Seiden, R.H. (1990). Psychodynamics in adolescent suicide. Journal of College Student Psychotherapy, 4(3-4), 101-123.
- Firestone, R.W., & Seiden, R.H. (1990). Suicide and the continuum of self-destructive behavior. Journal of American College Health, 38(5), 207-213.
- Firestone, R.W., & Seiden, R.H. (1987). Microsuicide and suicidal threats of everyday life. Psychotherapy. 24(1), 31-39.
- Firestone, R.W. (1986). The “inner voice” and suicide. Psychotherapy, 23(3), 439-447.>
- Firestone, R.W.(2000). Microsuicide and the Elderly: A basic Defense Against Death Anxiety. In Tomer, A(ED) Death Attitudes and the Older Adult. (pp.65-94). Taylor& Francis.
- Firestone, R.W., & Firestone, L. (2002). Suicide Reduction and Prevention. In C. Feltham (ED). Whats the good of Counselling & Psychotherapy?. (pp48-80). Sage Publications.
- Dr. Lisa Firestone’s Interview in Men’s Health Magazine – “Male suicide a growing concern in tough times“
- Suicide: What Every Mental Health Professional Needs to Know
- Innovative Approach to Treating Depression
- Suicide: The Warning Signs – Lisa Firestone, Ph.D., PsychologyToday
- Suicide: How You Can Help Someone at Risk – Ph.D.,PsychologyToday
- Suicide on the Rise – What We Do – Lisa Firestone, Ph.D., The Huffington Post
- Military Suicide: A New Battle to Save Lives Must Begin – Lisa Firestone, Ph.D., The Huffington Post
- What Demi Moore and Twitter Can teach You About Stopping Suicide – Lisa Firestone, Ph.D., The Huffington Post
* Listen to Free to Help Others Live, a Voice America interview with Dr. Lisa Firestone on suicide prevention as heard on the September 8, 2010 program FREED UP! with Dr. Jennifer Freed.